Welcome to CompBioMed Training Portal
One of the objectives of our Centre of Excellence is to train future generations of scientists within the field of computational biomedicine, by running training courses on topics such as HPC use, software engineering and algorithm design, as well as training medical practitioners in the basic medical and clinical contexts of HPC simulation (see CompBioMed Training Plan).
This Portal aims to be a sustainable open access educational and training resource for Computational Biomedicine, including HPC, and it displays:
- the past and upcoming training events organised within the CompBioMed project
- the training material developed for each course (course slides, code examples, exercises, video recording)
- the training courses offered by our partners that are relevant for the CompBioMed user community
PATC/CompBioMed Winter School 2019
CompBioMed course at VPH2018
PATC/CompBioMed Winter School 2018
CompBioMed University Education is an experimental-computational workflow in molecularly-based medicine that can be delivered to medical students, to science and engineering students, or as part of a bespoke training programme to familiarise trainees with genome-based computational biomedicine using state-of-the-art experimental and computational resources.
The course involves a combination of field work, wet laboratory-based experimental work, taught lectures, supervised workshops, and small group tutorial sessions and data analysis using high performance computing. Participants purify microbial genomic DNA from environmental samples and use conserved regions of the gene encoding the 16S bacterial ribosomal RNA for amplification of genomic microbial DNA. This DNA is sequenced using Illumina Next Generation Sequencing on an iSeq-100 machine and a bioinformatics pipeline is used on the raw data to understand microbial diversity by performing microbiome analysis on HPC.
If you are a trainer who would like to run this programme in your institution, CompBioMed can provide expert resources in the form of protocols and instructor support. If you are a student and wish to follow this training programme, please get in touch.
- CompBioMed at the 3rd VPH Summer School on data integration, model verification and validation (Barcelona, 18-22 June 2018)
- BioExcel & CompBioMed joint workshop on “Free Energy Calculations from Molecular Simulations: Applications in Life and Medical Sciences” (UCL, London, 30 May 2017)
- 2 CompBioMed sessions at the PATC Course “HPC-based simulations, Engineering and Environment” (BSC, Barcelona, 14-16 February 2017)
Click the button above for a repository of CompBioMed’s past, present, and future training materials and courses, as well as the training courses offered by our partners that are relevant to the CompBioMed user community.